Monday, August 28, 2006

Hair Loss - II


Chapter 2: The Barber


He cuts my hair diligently, day and night. Mathematics is close to divinity, I used to think. And, now, I know, I was right. The precision with which He maintains the symmetry is amazing.
y2 = 4ax is for the mortals. He sees it in a glance. Like, how those theorems came to Ramanujan off-the-cuff.

Today, He said stoically, “Ah, there, dear Zero, is one left on the right, which makes it, um, less symmetric, you know…”
I feigned ignorance, and timidly asked, “What is it that is, um, less symmetric?”
“Your face,” He said and plucked.

Yes, God cuts my hair.

As part of the ambitious “Hair Loss” series. Previous post on “Hair Loss”.

Note: Since I have reprised what I had said here, this also turns out to be an unqualified entry to the haircut blogathon. Predecessors elsewhere: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

3 comments:

  1. Heh.. you are now a part of the elite group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anu,
    But that's just a side-effect.
    The hair loss series is a very personal account of a poignant phase of a man's life (which, yet, addresses the quintessential predicament of the modern man).

    ReplyDelete