Friday, September 08, 2006

Last Sunday, I went back to Lawrence & Mayo and took my new pair of glasses that I had ordered. Yes, it was a full week after I had ordered for them. It felt good.

***

This week, I, along with some folks from the company I work with, was supposed to go to my alma mater for recruitment. We'll be starting on Tuesday noon, I thought. My friend calmly corrected me on Monday morning that we were supposed to start on that very day. So, I hurried up, bought a couple of new shirts, I don't know why, and reached my office just about noon, all set.

The two gentlemen whom I accompanied were both managers which brought in an obvious generation rift. But, the drives (we went on road), to and fro, were very pleasant. Both gentlemen were quintessential Tamilians. They listened fervently to 80s Ilaiyaraaja and were sort of movie buffs. Much as it sounds condescending, I was very impressed with their knowledge of Tamil cinema. We talked about many things; Tamil film songs, Ilaiyaraaja, Tamil movies, Mahanadhi, an obscure movie called Gramathu Athiyayam, yesteryear actress Jayashree, entrance exams, engineering, counselling etc. They nostalgically recalled their college days and the beginning years of their career time and again, and in lieu of their current affairs, kept talking about their kids. Such times are when I realise how much I enjoy a Tamilian company. I have never been a great enthusiast of Tamil, the language, so to say. I mostly deride my friends when they get all worked upon the Tamilian spirit or suchlike, or prove that Tamil is the one of the oldest languages in the world, and even worse, point out that Sanskrit derived a bit or more from Tamil. But, all that history and justification of it being a great "classic language" or otherwise is immaterial.

I am, for all practical reasons, a Tamilian myself, and that pretty much explains my natural affinity towards Tamilian things. Just like any ordinary Tamilian, I love Tamilian things, but not much the language itself.

And, yeah, one of them is technically not a Tamilian. Even, I am not. Whatever.

***

At the college, it was quite odd to see students going head over heels addressing us sir and all that. Yes, of course, I know that's how it was; and, back then, I too addressed such people as sir. But, much as I must have had used it to address certain people, I guess I didn't go to the levels that some students did the other day. (Had I overheard some of my batchmates attending interviews back then, perhaps, I'd have been more ready for this.) The way some candidates bludgeoned me with their sirs as they answered my questions really made me a bit uncomfortable, but I started taking it as a fact at its face value soon.

The recruitment itself was a low-key affair. About 30 candidates took the test (back then, I used to complain that the junta refers to it as 'giving the test' instead of 'taking the test'), a little less than half of them got short-listed for the interviews, I grilled some of them in data structures, algorithms blah blah blah (though I was well aware that I had to brush myself off on these subjects), and we finally zeroed in on two candidates and short-listed them for a job offer.

***

We left in the early morning, the day after, i.e. Sep 6th. The very day I first stepped in on my alma mater six years ago. I actually felt I should roam around the entire campus (esp. my room), but hardly had the time to. All I was able to visit was our beloved Octagon (it was some time between 9 and 10 in the night, so it was almost full), after a hectic session of interviews and dinner, the day before.
It was more than two years since I left the place. I am not able to figure out how nostalgic I feel about those times. Those days are the most unforgettable ones of my life and were great fun. But, I am not able to relate to many a thing out there anymore.

***

I am not even a bit sure about what I should do with my life. Enakku enna pannen, enna panren, enna pannalaam, edhuvume puriyala. I should start cooking. I'll get to peel onions, you know.

12 comments:

  1. I got nostalgic reading about being back in REC and about octagon. Yes I guess its the people who make the place, and without the group I hung out with, the class I enjoyed time with, I don't think I would like to go back and just reminisce alone. I'd just end up being miserable. Long time since I have been catching up on blogs. Nice to start with a trichy incident :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>Enakku enna pannen, enna panren, enna pannalaam, edhuvume puriyala>>

    No one really does understand adhellam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. iblog,
    On the whole, I really enjoyed the trip!

    i,
    Ennadhu idhu! I restate the obvious, even if it's not my speciality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. I love to re-state the obvious. Mabbe its my speciality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, nice opportunity to get back to coll and recruit man! How did that get you thinking of peeling onions, I wonder!

    Anyways, how was it being on the recruiter's side..thats the only way I wish to get back to coll if at all! Post some snaps if you don't mind the privacy issue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and btw, how wouldn't you get nostalgic? I'm also restating the obvious - how was the walk down the eee dept? memories? flash floods? u cud've chosen the companion from b'lore itself right! ;) anyways..hope she'd oblige next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girish, my memories, if any, just isn't/can't/won't/shan't be of "that kind"; and it's too obvious even for this blog to handle despite its very truthful tagline.
    It just can't be, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey sorry buddy..didn't know your resent to this! Was just kidding btw..u know it. ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Girish,
    This blogger can't/won't/shan't show resentment and things. Too much of a stone, he is, for such stuff.

    In other words, Dude! I missed a wink or so, and you thought I was typing those words with a deeply sullen face?

    *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok! I was a bit worried myself! Bit relieved now lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Preetha, the place would make me feel miserable, if I went alone..It was paradise (:-)) thanks to the people.. but also, I'm not very keen in meeting some of our Profs!!

    ReplyDelete